Protein Products International (PPI) is a member of the OMZEST Group of Companies and was established in the year 1987. With almost 1,700 kms of beaches that welcome unpolluted seas, the Sultanate of Oman is an environmentalist’s dream come true. The breathtaking underwater sights it offers takes one back to a period before man began exploiting natural resources. Its rich marine flora and fauna is legandary and Omani fish is often served as exotic cuisine around the world. A majority of PPI’s business constitutes the export of high quality Yellowfin Tuna. Today, the Company has steadily grown to become one of the most respected and the largest consistent supplier of chilled, fresh and frozen fish in the Sultanate of Oman and perhaps the Arabian Gulf. The products go far beyond the Arabian Gulf to markets in the USA, Europe, Far East and East African destinations.
PPI have buying centres in several major fishing villages on the Sultanate’s coast. The Company selects high quality fish which is processed and exported fresh. PPI is active in the export of frozen tuna and tuna loins. The Company has chartered a number of tuna long-line fishing vessels to operate in Omani territorial waters. These vessels freeze and store high quality SASHIMI grade Yellowfin Tuna exclusively for the Japanese market. Another major activity of PPI is marketing of mixed species of fish. PPI has modern processing facilities to process these species for the European, American and Asian markets. The Company is implementing the HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) and is able to export to USA. PPI is one of the few fish processing companies in the Sultanate approved to export to the EU after meeting the required high standards.
PPI concentrates in exporting much of its production, and has succeeded in reaching a very high percentage of around 95% in exports. PPI exports its products to many countries around the world. PPI was awarded the Best Fish Processing Unit by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries in 1997. The Company is a Green Card holder and has met the required Omanisation level.
Stringent quality control ensures that the Company’s fleet of long-line tuna fishing vessels herd, catch and process only high quality Yellowfin Tuna and mixed species of fish. Sourcing is also done from local fishing villages on the coast after careful selection which assists the local fishermen. At every stage, efforts are made to ensure that only the very best reaches the consumer. Harnessing the wealth of the sea without depleting it is no easy task. Systematically and sensibly drawing on its riches without upsetting nature’s delicate balance is what PPI consciously and constantly strives for.
PPI is actively involved in international sourcing and trading of sea food. From inception, the Company believed that only totally committed service can build enduring and mutually beneficial business relationships. And the ultimate tribute to the success of this philosophy is the increasing group of loyal and successful customers built over the years. PPI is sure that this strategy will help its expansion.
The main activities of Protein Products International’s FDA and EU Approved Fish Processing Plant include:
- Industrial Fishing
- Procurement from Traditional Fishermen
- Fish processing and Export Marketing
- International Sourcing and Re-Exports
PRODUCT RANGE: JAYDAR
- Fresh and Chilled Yellowfin Tuna Whole and Yellowfin Tuna Loins, Frozen Yellowfin Tuna Whole and Yellowfin Tuna Loins
- Fresh and Chilled Shark Loins, Frozen Shark Trunks
- Fresh and Chilled Spiny Lobsters, Frozen Spiny Lobsters
- Fresh and Chilled Mixed Species of Fish, Frozen Mixed Species of Fish
- From Indonesia, Malaysia and Maldives
- Fresh and Chilled Yellowfin Tuna Whole Headless/Gutted
- Fresh and Chilled Yellowfin Tuna Loins
- Fresh and Chilled Swordfish Loins
- Fresh and Chilled Blue Marlin Loins
- Sashimi high quality Frozen Yellowfin Tuna for the Japanese market.
- High Quality Frozen Shark Trunks
JOINT VENTURE BETWEEN PPI AND INDEPENDENT FISHERIES LTD.
A joint venture agreement was made between Protein Products International LLC and Independent Fisheries Ltd., Christchurch, New Zealand in October 2006. As per this agreement, a vessel owned by IFL, named Al Mustaqila 1 undertakes fishing operations in the waters of Oman. The vessel is fitted with modern fishing equipment and incorporates latest technology to prevent collateral damage to the environment and minimal impact upon fish habitat.
- Al Mustaqila 1 at the outset is like any other fishing trawler incorporating sophisticated technology and good sea keeping ability. It has an endurance of 40 days and has the capacity to store 450 tons of processed fish. It has the capability to trawl at depths beyond 1000 mts. The vessel normally trawls at 4.5 kts.
- Equipment - The bridge has a central console to monitor all the electronic equipment. Central to the console are two fish finding displays an electronic chart and a side scan sonar screen. This equipment can be controlled from the console.
- The electronic chart is used in close collaboration with the fish finder to compile an extremely accurate three dimensional picture of the sea bed contours. The vessel is capable of building a large data base of the sea bed features on which it can then concentrate its fishing efforts.
- Trawling - The vessel has six different trawling nets. The nets are accurately controlled during fishing operations avoiding any obstacle such as rock pinnacles, wrecks and canyon walls. It is even possible to direct the nets towards the most densely populated part of a fish shoal ensuring maximum number of fish caught. This sophisticated method prevents damage to nets and preserves fish habitats. The vessel has the ability to turn through 180 degrees without recovering the nets.
- Support - The vessel can sustain at sea without external support as it carries enough spare parts to ensure trouble free operations. The modern equipment will allow it to cover more accurately the same area that several conventional stern trawlers of similar size could. All of this can be done without intruding on the domain of traditional fishermen.
Protein Products International LLC
P.O. Box No. 1668, Muttrah,
Postal Code : 114
Sultanate of Oman
Tel: (968) 24815512
Fax: (968) 24814497